Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Sorry for the Delay!

Hey Everyone!

I apologize for just now posting.  Long story short, I had a computer fall out last week.  Thankfully, it is working now! Last week I was doing my reflections at school and in the library and never uploaded them on here.  Overall, Cliff Notes for last week: I had my first Open House, taught a full week of Math, my first kid vomiting experience, first observation, first observation of growth from my teaching! It was a wonderful and eventful week and I would love to share it with any of you :). 

Today was a really good day at school! Yesterday, the kids seemed to be in a bit of a funk from it being a Monday but they seemed more focused today.  I am still learning a lot about getting the classes attention and correcting behavior.  I can see it getting better and I am so glad that I never raise my voice (even though it is tempting at times!).

In Reading we have been reading Because of Winn-Dixie which is a wonderful novel.  The kids are really enjoying it and learning a lot too.  Yesterday I taught them about prejudice through an activity where you give each kid a lemon.  The kids examine their lemons and get to know them very well.  Then, I put all the lemons in the center of the carpet and have them identify theirs.  The kids all knew which one was theirs because they saw the spots, sizes, different shades, etc.  Then, we all peal the lemons and I put them in the middle again.  This time, hardly any of the kids know which lemon belongs to them.  We discussed how we all appear different and may look different but are also similar on the inside.  The class shared about the similarities we all have; such as having a heart, a brain and wanting to have friends.  Then, they created a poster about 5 ways to help stop prejudice.  The poster included a collage of pictures of diverse people.  They did an awesome job and really understood the material!

Today, in Reading we continued reading Because of Winn-Dixie and focused on comparing and contrasting.  Our school has a really neat thinking map software that helps the kids learn how to comprehend the material and process what they are learning.  The class worked beautifully together and I had hardly any discipline problems! I think this came from me addressing the expectations for the day and correcting any behavior that was unacceptable.  I love seeing the kids learn and really think about what they read!

In Science we have been studying the skeletal system for a while.  This is our last week and we have a test this Friday. The kids seem a bit burnt out on the subject but I am trying to still make it fun!  I sent home a review last night that unfortunately had a typo!  My goodness, the kids and parents certainly addressed me.  II felt really bad but took it as a learning and teaching opportunity.  I told the class that we all make mistakes and what matters is that we correct them.  I gave them a new one and we did it together in class.  It is humbling to have 24 students know you messed up!  My clinical teacher assured me that "you will do it again, and so will I.  We just  learn from it!".  I am so blessed to have a teacher that is encouraging and makes me feel comfortable.  I will definitely be triple checking over the work I create for students from now on!

I feel like this week I am getting more and more used to my life as a (intern) teacher.  I love creating lessons and implementing them in the classroom.  I love seeing the kids learning and growing!

Challenge of the Day:
Not being afraid to have an error in front of the class!

No comments:

Post a Comment