Thursday, January 20, 2011

Phew.

Today was a good, but also crazy day. Lot's to reflect on but not a lot of time to write.  This will be the cliff notes version. :). Today I got to teach part of the reading class.  It was sooo great! The kids were engaged and responded great to it.  Our class has such a high stress level when it comes to testing and doing well.  They really wear their emotions on their sleeve...(we had two boys come into class crying today).  I wanted to do an activity that would help them learn to breathe as a relaxation method.  We did this by blowing bubbles while listening to calming music.  It was wonderful! After this, we went over some strategies to help them in their reading.

Now, I want to reflect on some the discipline today.  During the end of our math class one of the girls in our class came back from her intervention class.  This girl is always pretty quiet but also respectful and nice. When she came back, she asked us if she could use the restroom.  We said yes, and then she never came back.  Ms. Johnston had to hunt her down and found out she walked into ISS and said she didn't want to be in class! We were absolutely shocked and confused.  Ms. Johnston and I are both trying to figure out what happened. 

While Ms. Johnston was in the office dealing with this situation I had our Science class.  They were getting ready to do a really neat experiment where they get to test the importance of using their thumb.  However, they just went absolutely wild! I have been in the room with just me and the class many times with good behavior...but my goodness, not today! I turned of the lights and made them all sit with their heads down.  I told them how disappointed I was in each of them.  I told them we are a team and we just don't act that way and that it was unacceptable.  Many of them wrote me cards apologizing and a couple even teared up.  I'm not sure if it was the best way to handle the situation but it got them on task and ready to learn. I really think it is so important for me to establish discipline now, even though it is challenging. 

Days like today certainly have some struggles but I still appreciate them fully.  At the end of the day, I still see so many more positive great moments then the few tough ones.  I think about the laughter of one of the kids as they popped a bubble, the boys in our class doing a funny disco dance when we played music,  comforting a kid that was sad and seeing them smile, a student in math working so hard and improving so much. Kids are wonderful.  They are also people and are full of ups and downs...good days and bad days.  When I think about this, my patience grows more and more.  Teaching is a wonderful profession.

P.S. My desk officially has some supplies!

1 comment:

  1. Yay Jess! It seems like your handling even the high stress situations well =). It also seems like the kids really respect you, even if they did have an off afternoon. I love that you are so into this!

    ReplyDelete