Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Friday's Go Fast!

Sorry for just now posting! Friday's go by so fast and this weekend I got to spend some wonderful time with my best friend and her family at Myrtle Beach.  I have found a whole new appreciation for the weekends :).  I had written down my reflection in a word file but forgot to post it on here...so here it is!

Walking into the school on Friday is a fun feeling.  You can tell that both teacher's and students are ready for the weekend. Every day the first part of Reading is spent with the kids going to the library, taking AR test and getting ready for the day. It is one of my favorite parts of the day to go around and see the children engaged in books.  Last semester, a wonderful professor taught me a behavioral strategy to do with students called "2 x10".  In this strategy the teacher spends 2 minutes a day, for 10 days getting to know a student that is having difficult behavior.  I decided to implement this in the Reading part of the day.  I specifically went to 2 kids that have been struggling.  I asked them to about the book they were reading and what it was about.  I then asked them what some of their favorite books are and shared mine as well.  They laughed when I shared my deep love for Little House on the Prairie ( a true sign I am getting old)! I also asked them about their plans for the weekend and what are some of their favorite activities.  I could tell by the smile on their face that it meant something to them. I'm going to try to keep doing this.  Plus, it is just wonderful to get to know the students better!

In reading today the students had to take their Spelling test as well as a reading comprehension test.  Just by looking at the students I can tell which ones are feeling confident and which ones are not.  During the test, one boy told me he wasn't feeling well at all.  His face looked super pale and I could tell there could be a disaster.  Mrs. Johnston called his family to come home.  It is hard seeing someone feeling so bad and you can't take care of them.  In the short time we waited for his Grandpa to come, 3 others started not feeling well.  We also learned that their were a bunch of other students that had to go home.  Bring on the airborne and hand sanitizer!

Math was fantastic again! It is awesome seeing the kids excited about it.  Next week I will teach a whole week of math.  As nervous as I am, I'm really hoping I can help continue their excitement and help them learn multiplication.

Overall, it was such a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment