Tuesday, January 18, 2011

First Teacher Workday!

When I was a kid, I would always get so excited to see the words "Teacher Workday" on the school calendar.  These days meant more time sleeping in and relaxing. I quickly learned today that on a teacher workday, teachers really do work!  I got to school at 8:30 and was able to wear jeans.  It felt like a holiday within itself to be able to wear jeans to school. :).  Once I got there some of the teachers chatted in the hallway.  We shared about our weekends and all kinds of other things.  I really love the teachers at our school, they are so easy to talk to.  It was also wonderful to see that the conversation always went back to teaching and the children.  They are such hard workers and I am learning so much from them.

The next few hours were filled with grading papers and organizing.  I know that doesn't sound too exciting but it is kind of fun!  I root for all the kids and get so excited when I see they are having good grades and understanding material.  When they are not doing so well, it helps us see what we can work on.  I got to put up some our students great work in the hall.  I felt like a proud Mom as I sat back and looked at their great work.   There are some truly amazing artists in our class!

After this, some of the teachers went to lunch.  The place was freeeezing but it was fun to see them all outside of school.  You can tell they love what they do and love working together.  Once we got back, time flew by!  Ms. Johnston and I got a lot done today.  As important as workdays are, I also found myself missing the kids.  We have one more workday tomorrow and I will get to go to a conference in the morning.  :)

Challenge of the Day: Helping organize the room today and get everything ready I saw just how much preparation and time it takes to get a room ready.  This has made me nervous about my 1st year of teaching and having supplies for my class.  If you have any suggestions please let me know!

Quote of the Day: As cheesy as it may sound my favorite quote of the day was getting to write on a kids paper, "100 % You Are Awesome!"

No comments:

Post a Comment