Wednesday, January 19, 2011

I Have My Own Desk!

Today was another really great and busy workday!  We had a workshop today on a program called Class Scap.  The tutorial was really informative and useful.  The more the woman explained about the program I saw how awesome it is and how great it will be for the students.  This program helps teachers know exactly where kids stand in their learning.  For all my teacher nerds, you would just love it! You can specifically choose the objectives you want the kid to be tested on.  They can do a pre and a post test.  One of the coolest things is that the program is all web based.  This allows us teachers to create tests from home and without having to use software.  The program is not meant to be used as grades for the student but specifically for instructional data.  Pretty cool, right!

One of the things that was brought up in the workshop is that by 2014, all EOG's will be on the computer.  Many teachers have probably expected this change but it also brings its challenges.  There were many questions about where we would find the right amount of computers. It will be interesting to see how this develops.  Technology is growing fast :).

After the workshop we did a bunch of work in the room.  I worked with Ms. Johnston to plan which lessons I will be teaching next week and which objectives need to be covered.  i will be teaching Math, Science, and Read Alouds each day.  It was amazing being able to find some great books to read aloud and get started planning. (I'm certain you will hear much more about how these plans develop in the next couple of days)!

Then, we started cleaning and rearranging.  Our room is significantly smaller than many of the other rooms in the school.  This is quite a challenge!  We were able to make the room more open and far less dusty.  I got to explore through all of the books Ms. Johnston has gotten over the years. There are few things in this world that bring me us much joy as children's book.  As I explored I found a trip down memory lane with "The BFG,  Frindle, Bud Not Buddy and more.  Books have such a wonderful power to take us to a completely different place.  I'm sure we can all remember the books we have read that have brought us joy, made us cry, or made us feel like we were a superhero.  I hope the kids in my class will get to explore books in an exciting way.

Once we got some things rearranged we found a space for me!  Ms. Johnston is absolutely a miracle worker on making it work and I am so thankful for her.  I am officially feeling like a teacher and bringing some school supplies tomorrow.  It won't be long before that desk will be covered with lessons, books and all sorts of other things, but I can't wait! 

My supervisor also came today to check on us.  She answered all the questions we had and I felt much more comfortable afterwards.  I also passed the drills quiz with flying colors, woohoo!

Tomorrow, the kids come back!

1 comment:

  1. That's exciting Jess! Yay for having a desk, and I love that you got to look at all the old books. I'm sure that will be an exciting thing when I do it as well.

    ReplyDelete